[luau] KDE 3.2 beta 2

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Thu Jan 15 08:28:00 PST 2004

There is an article reviewing KDE 3.2 Beta 2:

http://www.osnews.com/printer.php?news_id=5670

(Note that this fellow runs Fedora Core 1, Red Hat 9, Mandrake Linux
9.2, Debian unstable, FreeBSD 5.1, Windows 2000 and Windows XP on his?
machine.)

Has anyone installed Windows XP recently?  Or let me ask another more
pertinent question: Aas anyone seen the movie Seabiscuit?

Wait a couple of rounds and this Linux desktop is really going to pull
away from the New Yorker.

Linus said that Year 2004 will be the year of Linux desktops.  Of course
no one will take Linus' words seriously.  But when Taiwan's IIIS (its
information Czar, which, even as recently as a few months ago was still
a Microsoft mouthpiece) predicted (yesterday news) that the Linux
related industry will have a compounded annual growth rate of 77%, to
reach $2.3 billion in 2006 (in Taiwan alone), then we know a lot of
decision makers will begin paying attention:

http://news.chinatimes.com/Chinatimes/newslist/newslist-content/0,3546,12050901+122004011500407,00.html

The RPMs for Fedora are at:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/3.1.94/RedHat/Fedora/i386

Also, instead of using the command:

'rpm -Uvh ./*.rpm --nodeps --force'

I would suggest using -Fvh, as you may want to install only the
components that are already in your system.  But either way, please give
it a try.  wayne