[luau] migration

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jan 13 21:10:01 PST 2004

Lucas Halim wrote:
 >>From the beginning of our apps development, we tried not to use too
much vendor specific feature so
 > PL/SQL is not a biggie but it's definitely good to know.
 >
 > We are in the process of getting in new boxes and will try out Fedora
 >
 > Thanks guys for the responses. Just keep it coming.
 >
 > Lucas

postgresql is indeed nice, but please read the following about Fedora.

I am a Fedora developer and personally use it myself on all of my
servers (and desktops, and thin clients... etc.), I wouldn't recommend
it for something that needs to remain at the same version for several
years, like you probably want for an important database server.

While the software in each Fedora distribution is generally very stable,
each Fedora distribution is only supported for maybe 7-9 months after
release.  There is the chance that the Fedora Legacy Project [1] may
continue security updates beyond the company's EOL, but the project
needs more community developers to make that a reality.  For these
reasons, Fedora it is only really suitable for servers if you know Linux
well and you don't mind upgrading the servers once or twice per year.
For example if you have extra hardware you can do validation testing of
the newer distribution and deploy it before the old Fedora goes EOL.

Long story short... Fedora is not a great long term server solution.
You may want to look at the alternatives like Debian, SuSE or RHEL.

http://www.redhat.com/solutions/industries/education/
Be warned that I am totally biased in recommending this, but Red Hat
Enterprise Linux for academic institutions seems to be very reasonably
priced and may suit your needs well.  Red Hat is supposed to maintain
security updates for each version of RHEL for something like 5 years,
meaning you have plenty of time before EOL.  The pages above says $50/yr
for academic institutions, which appears a bit smaller than $1499/yr for
RHEL AS.  Something like every 1.5 years they plan on releasing a new
version of RHEL, and the subscription allows you to download and upgrade
to the latest version at no additional cost.

[1]
http://www.fedoralegacy.org

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com