[LUAU] Open Source Ghosting

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Aug 25 18:41:20 PDT 2004

Thanks, All, for the ideas, insight, and initiative.  Allow me to put
some focus on our objectives so we can adequately harness all this
expertise.  HOSEF has donated an entire lab to McKinley.  It is a
tri-boot lab.  Win98 lite is run during the day to serve foreign
language classes their preferred app, Rosetta Stone.  (want to be a
winner for HOSEF, help us get this running with wine or crossover), GRUB
is used to boot from the Terminal Server, and now that Kevin and others
will be offering classses in the room, we have added an install of
Debian Sarge to the mix.

We need to image the machines as needed to preserve their ability to
serve the foreign students their windows goodies.  If we do a Linux
install on the machines, we need to return the lab to its initial state.

Bill Musson has been kind enough to donate a copy of the venerable tool,
Ghost.

We would love to see an OSS solution that we can share.  Michael has
been working with Mondo/mindi.  We have a 10/100 switch, an nfs server,
and a platform for your expertise.  We will be gathering at McKinley on
Saturday from 10-2, prior to the UH event, and you are invited to come
by and help.

Pending a successful OSS solution we will  be swapping out a few
machines to make the lab uniform, (Dell Gx1) and multicast ghosting a
known good image.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford