[LUAU] K12LTSP Server

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Tue Aug 24 20:07:10 PDT 2004

Wilson wrote:
> I have a Dual PII400Mhz Xeon (512k Cache) with 1GB of PC100 SDRAM ECC, 18GB
> 7200 RPM UW SCSI (40Mbit) hdd server. I was wondering if it would worth the
> $200 or so dollars to upgrade the Dual PII400Mhz to Dual PIII700Mhz Xeon
> (2MB Cache)? Anyone know how many thin clients a Dual PII400 Xeon or a Dual
> PIII700Mhz server can support? Thanks!
>

> Wilson

I like to, as a baseline, consider 500mhz and a half gig of ram as the
baseline for the server.  From there, as a very, very dirty rule of
thumb, you can add 100 mhz and 64 mb ram per client.

Given the SCSI drive, and that you not use tuxtype at the same time, you
could comfortably run 5-10 clients.  With option 2, I would estimate 10.
  We have run more with less and less with more.  A lot depends on what
your window manager is and the applications being simultaneously used.
There are a ton of stories about running a thousand pc's off of a 486,
and running sluggishly with a dual athlon and one/millionth of a client.

I say start adding and experiencing.  Commit to 5 working well, and
prove to yourself that you need the additional $200 to commit to 10
working well.

We consider this adequate for 30 clients

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=904498

--scott