[LUAU] HOSEF gets Enchanted

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Tue Aug 17 12:04:22 PDT 2004

This Friday we will be installing yet another thin-client lab in Hawaii.
  This one will be at Enchanted Lakes Elementary in Kailua.  We have
nearly lined up the needed volunteers, but more are always welcome.  If
you would like to see how we transform an empty room into a functional
computer lab running feature rich OSS applications, it may be a good day
to get to know HOSEF

Details are Friday at 9 am at ELE.  If you intend to come, please
confirm with me privately or in thread.  We need to of course realize
that this is a school, so our appearance will be orderly.

It does appear that we could use some more ps2 mice.  If someone has a
functional and sizable UPS, we can save the school some money with a
donation.  Please let me know if you can provide either.  As it stands,
we will be installing:

*Our Custom-Built dual-Opteron, 2gb ram, 15K scsi drives Server
*Gigabit switch purchased by ELE
*Cable Runs (from Scratch.  ELE has cable, they are buying clips)
*Donated Monitors, PC's, Keyboard, and Mice
*Donated Laserjet Network Printer.

To avoid too much detail in this email, explicit plans can be found on
our managers list

http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/hosef-managers/2004q3/002180.html

Years ago HOSEF began its mission to promote and sustain OSS in Hawaii.
  Rather than talk or fantasize about it, we have eagerly engaged in

Tactic 1: collect donated computers, set up Linux labs for schools,
dispel argument that Linux is too hard or there is not support.

we are now engaging in

Tactic 2: Create community events, Conferences, and Seminars to raise
awareness and make economic case for integrating OSS into our economy

and are planning

Tactic 3: Create HOSEF's Open Source Research Institute to perpetuate
our educational and support activities in an all day facility providing
OSS training, workshops, seminars, and incubation.

OSS based computers, primarily running the K12LTSP gnu/linux distro,
have been installed at:

Mid-Pacific Institute
St. John's Elementary
Kailua Redemption Academy
McKinley Community School for Adults
Liholiho Elementary
Campbell High School
Kuhio Elementary
Hawaii Agriculture Research Commission
The New Academy (Big Island)
Kaneohe Elementary
Boys and Girls Club of Hawaii - Ewa
Makiki Community Library

and on the Horizon are

Enchanted Lakes Elementary
United Self Help

we are building the support and knowledge base, are you ready to manage
it through entrepreneurial job creation?

--scott