[LUAU] Intro

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Aug 11 05:31:25 PDT 2004

>> OK, port Linux to an 8051 with 256 BYTES of RAM and (at most) 64k of
>> ROM.  :-)
>

> Ya know, with folks like Cygnal (sorry Silicon Labs) in the business,
> and Siemens/Infineon with its 32bit ALU in
> an 8051 clone, how long will it be before we see an 8051 clone that
> actually could boot linux?
>
> And in any case, its straight-forward to interface a IDE drive to an 8051.
>
> But, point taken.  Still, never say 'never'.

Well, I guess MAYBE you could run uCLinux on them, with bank switched RAM...
Still that would be one hell of a feat.

Actually, the last major project I did involved an 8051 talking to a Linux host
(via USB, I'm sure you've heard of the Cypress EZ-USB).

>> Yeah, all those older images that include SSH support (I don't know if
>> any actually do, though I made some that did) all used OpenSSH and
>> therefore had to include OpenSSL.  Cost you a LOT of space...
>

> Sure, but not all of openssl is needed for openssh.   major shrinkage is
> possible.

True, I never tried omitting the parts of OpenSSL that weren't needed for
OpenSSH.  I've been looking at Dropbear recently anyway.

>> I have a similar image I've been working on.  Do you know of an SSL
>> capable webserver that doesn't need OpenSSL?  Apache/mod_ssl is just
>> overkill for a web frontend!
>

> Thats pure open source?  No.   Monthra markets a tiny TLS libary that
> plugs into goahead.

Damn.

>>> 4MB allows me to add things like snmp, captive portals and ad-hoc
>>> routing (olsr).
>>

>> Yup :)
>

> right, so when do we start to unwire Oahu?  (is there *any* community
> wireless on the island?)

No clue.  I guess that both of us being hams, we could go for the worlds longest
wifi shot :), but I'm thinking you wouldn't even notice I'm there (not to
mention that the tower height required for line of sight from Oahu to
Indianapolis would be incredible...might as well use a satellite).

> Yes, but these are more expensive than 64MB CF cards.   Supply and
> demand, just as you'll find that 72-pin SIMMs are quite pricey these days.

That's what I figured.  Mostly we've been using 32 and 64MB cards.

>> Well, I've got 3 webpals sitting around (1MB flash, up to 16MB of RAM,
>> or 64 if you're willing to do a hardware mod), and a General
>> Instruments/Motorola DCT-5000 MIPS based set-top box (that is MINE
>> thank you, not the cable company's) that I need to find something to
>> do with.  The DCT-5000 has a LOT of stuff in it (much of which nobody
>> will ever be able to get specs on, at least not before it snows in
>> hell due to the heat death of the universe occuring).
>

> Didn't this run some Lineo-supplied distribution?

We've actually been working with a former Lineo employee on this.
Unfortunately, due to NDAs (and him just plain not rememebring things, also lack
of time), we've not gotten far.

>> My x86 development has mostly been on dual ethernet AMD Elan systems
>> with (up to) 64MB (yes, 64MB) of RAM, a CF slot, and a PC/104 bus
>> (that I need to make a daughterboard up for).  Mostly acting as
>> routers (which 64MB lets you do some very cool stateful filtering
>> stuff), but also just in some other weird applications.
>

> Elan, ugh.  The reason I like the recent VIA embedded parts is their
> AES/RNG core.   Can you spell IPSEC?  :-)

I-P-S-E-C :-)

I haven't gotten to play with those parts yet.  My current "embedded" project is
far from what most people would probably consider embedded.  How much RAM and
how fast a processor is needed to effectively run OpenOffice, anyway? :-)

> jim

--MonMotha