[LUAU] Intro

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Aug 11 01:37:23 PDT 2004

Jim Thompson wrote:

> the non-MMU parts that made uClinux special are now part of the 2.6
> kernel tree.

Yes they are, though I haven't had a need to play with it yet as I do mostly ARM
and embedded x86 work (well, and work on things that will NEVER run Linux)

> There are uClinux-specific patches to the tree, but they dont' do much.
>
> While glibc won't work on MMU-less systems, there are many libc-like
> libraries that will, including
> dietlibc, newlib, and uClibc.   As a bonus, when uClibc is run on a
> system with an MMU, you get support for shared libraries.
>
> Erik Andersen (the maintainer of uClibc, busybox, and other items in the
> embedded linux toolbox) has recently
> even made a complete uClibc-based debian 'woody' distribution (named
> 'uWoody') available.   This is pretty cool, as its a built-from scratch
> distribution, rather that the more typical "hack things back out" approach.
>
> there are also uClibc-based variants of gentoo (easier to do than debian)
>
> Perhaps someone will release a uClibc variant of FC2.

Well, while we're on the topic, I have some of my "hack it out until it works"
based things, though recently I've been experimenting with buildroots and maybe
OpenEmbedded.

http://monmotha.mplug.org/flplinux/
http://monmotha.mplug.org/smallsys/

http://monmotha.mplug.org/tuxscreen-image.jffs2 is what runs on my tuxscreen,
though I need to redo it.

All those are very old, but demonstrate what kind of space you can actually cram
Linux into if you work at it.  I've seen Linux fit in under 1MB before.  You can
have an entire userspace in under 500k if you really want to (busybox/uClibc and
some shell scripts, statically link busybox to uClibc), though it won't do much
other than boot.

--MonMotha