[LUAU] Intro

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Aug 11 01:19:07 PDT 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 9:32 PM, Jimen Ching wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> uClinux is just another kernel port in the 2.6 tree.
>
> I think uClinux works on non MMU processors also, as well as a
> different
> (non-glibc) clib.

the non-MMU parts that made uClinux special are now part of the 2.6
kernel tree.

There are uClinux-specific patches to the tree, but they dont' do much.

While glibc won't work on MMU-less systems, there are many libc-like
libraries that will, including
dietlibc, newlib, and uClibc.   As a bonus, when uClibc is run on a
system with an MMU, you get support for shared libraries.

Erik Andersen (the maintainer of uClibc, busybox, and other items in
the embedded linux toolbox) has recently
even made a complete uClibc-based debian 'woody' distribution (named
'uWoody') available.   This is pretty cool, as its a built-from scratch
distribution, rather that the more typical "hack things back out"
approach.

there are also uClibc-based variants of gentoo (easier to do than
debian)

Perhaps someone will release a uClibc variant of FC2.

> At work, we've been using a stripped down Redhat as the OS for a
> control
> application.  We wanted to go the PowerPC route, but we never built a
> linux system from scratch before, so we chose x86 and Redhat to reduce
> risk.

Sure.  Lots of people get started this way.  If you want an afternoon
of me coming in to explain the challenges (my
only fee is that the coffee must be good) and pitfalls, just ask.

Jim