[LUAU] Intro

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Aug 10 22:09:22 PDT 2004

Jimen Ching wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Brian Chee wrote:
>
>>by the way....ANCL is doing quite a bit of embedded Linux work on both
>>the ipaq (familier distro) and the Medallion (techsol.ca) that uses the
>>toolchain arrangement....
>

> I graduated in '95.  But back then, weren't you guys using Sun mainframes?
> I guess ITS (is this still what the department is called?) has changed a
> lot since then.  Though the ICS department weren't known for their cutting
> edge research, even with a few famous professors.
>
> When you say embedded Linux, do you mean uClinux or just a stripped down
> distro?
>
> --jc

Familiar is full blown linux.  It's fairly debianesque in nature, but it is of
course stripped down as they try to keep it within 16MB for the older ipaqs.
The ARM processors in ipaqs do have a full PMMU, so they can run "real" linux,
not just uCLinux.

If you want to "get into" it, OPN/Freenode #handhelds.org or #familiar is where
discussion on this stuff takes place.

--MonMotha