[LUAU] Mainline (generic) 2.6 kernel with FC2

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Mon Apr 26 11:31:14 PDT 2004

If "you" (as in "yours truly") are stupid enough to have bought
nForce2-based mobos, everytime I upgraded to a new kernel, my USB mouse
stopped working.  Ditto for USB-based remote keyboards.  I can live, at
least temporarily, with no NIC driver.  But not w/o mouse and keyboard
(as well as other USB-based peripherals).  The only way to get around
this problem is to always have a PS2 mouse ready; plug that in and then
re-install the nForce drivers as soon as I was able to boot into the
system.  Now try to tell that to your "clients".

On the video side, the main difference b/t nVidia and ATI, IMO, is that
the latter is more actively involved in developing the open-source
version of its drivers (or more open with its specs). . . . whereas
nVidia seems to be "almost" (give them benefit of the doubt) exclusively
focused on their proprietary drivers.

W/o participation from their creators, nVidia cards suck under the "nv"
driver.  The open-sourced versions of Raedon drivers seem to be only one
version behind the most current proprietary version.  The graphics of my
HP ze4560 notebook (with a mobile Raedon 9200) with the default driver
works surprisingly and noticeably better than my GeForce4 under nv.

Linux has progressed to a stage where it's the little things that
count.  Of course, I am sure nVidia will change.  But until that
happens, stay away from their products.  wayne