[luau] locate apt and synaptic after rpm -i?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Sep 25 18:24:00 PDT 2003

TB wrote:
> I'm trying to get fedora going, so I downloaded the
> rpm for apt and synaptic and installed them. I think.
> I ran rpm -i filename.
>
> Then I tried "locate apt-get" and got nothing. And
> "locate synaptic", also nothing. then I tried just
> running apt-get, it worked.
>
> Why is the locate command letting me down? How do I
> find out where rpm installed synaptic?

locate uses a database that is rebuilt automatically once per day from
cron.  It wont immediately know about changes to your filesystem.  You
can force a rebuild of that database with "updatedb".

After a RPM package is installed, use the following command to list all
files within that package.

rpm -ql synaptic

Warren