[luau] Re: Quote for AMD64 systems

Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Wed Sep 24 15:00:01 PDT 2003

Thank you for looking into that Warren. I been getting some very
interesting quotes as of late. This will give me one more option to think
about. Once again, thank you.

Michael

Warren Togami <warren at togami.com>@videl.ics.hawaii.edu on 09/24/2003
01:01:30 PM

Please respond to luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

Sent by:    luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

To:    luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
cc:

Subject:    [luau] Re: Quote for AMD64 systems

Michael, I got this quote from Pogo Linux.  Roughly equivalent to your
quoted system except "higher quality parts" and 2 year warranty where
they will send individual parts or you can send the entire box back for
repair.

I would recommend running it in 32bit mode at first until 64bit Red Hat
Linux is perfected during the next year, at that point we can evaluate
an upgrade which would give an additional speed boost.  Currently they
aren't selling this system on the public website because the RAID
management software does not yet work from within 64bit Linux (but the
driver does).  Jesse (also a member of the Fedora Project) will keep me
updated with the status of the 64bit RAID management software.  In the
mean time 32bit will work.

Disclaimer: This is not an endorsement of Pogo Linux Systems.  I only
asked them for a competitive quote.  I personally have not tried any of
their systems.

Warren

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:54, Jesse Keating wrote:
> Pogo Linux PerformanceWare 1464 1U Server
> * Two Years Return-to-Depot Service
> * Dual AMD Opteron 240 CPU
> * Tyan S2880UGN Mainboard with AMD 8131 Chipset
> * 4096MB PC2700 ECC Reg. DDR Memory

Hmm, this is higher speed RAM than the PC2100 we got for Mid-Pac and
Liholiho's opteron servers.