[luau] fedora q's

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 23 07:53:00 PDT 2003

Warren Togami wrote:
> apt and yum are generic tools which can download, install and update
> packages from an arbitrary source.  fedora.us was one of many sources of
> 3rd party packages for Red Hat Linux.  freshrpms.net is another.

Ah, I see, that makes sense.  I need to get out more.

> That is not a 100% requirement, but Fedora could not guarantee
> compatibility with packages from other sources.  Chances are however
> that maybe 95% of packages from elsewhere work fine though.
>
> The sign that says "we cannot guarantee compatibility" was more of a
> warning than a rule for users who want simplicity by avoiding breakage.

I was confused by an article I read where the user pretty much gave up
because of errors.  I tested it on my machine, no problems, so I see
what you mean.

>>and RH 9 ( that RH 9 has some functionality "dumbed down" to remove
>>liability for distributing software that uses things like mpeg, etc ),
>>Warren mentioned that the full user versions could be downloaded and
>>installed using fedora and a 3rd party server.  What 3rd party servers
>>are availble?
> These are easily found with Google.  Please do not ask me to point the
> way.

Well, not so easy for me.  I'd already tried google, but the results
were too ambiguous.  I'm probably phrasing the question to google wrong,
but I'm new to this apt/yum thing, so it's difficult to work past that.

> Yes, the old Fedora at fedora.us currently has all RH updates as well as
> updates for its own packages whenever they are released.  The fedora.us
> project will continue operating for several more months while the new
> fedora.redhat.com project is forming.

Sweet.

Thanks for your time,

-Charles