[luau] Proposed LTSP Server Config

Nakashima pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Mon Sep 22 16:15:01 PDT 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Warren Togami wrote:

> The landfill reference was originally talking specifically about
> preventing many old Pentiums from going to the landfill, not anything
> grander.  This might have been a confusing point.

The below is purely theoretical (not based on hard facts). I know it's
over simplified, but it's just there to further explain the point.

Buy new scenario:
The DOE purchases 2,000 new computers every year and discards 1,000
computers every year.
Hawaii businesses, military, government, etc. purchase 10,000 new
computers every year and discards 2,000 computer
every year.
Landfill receives 3,000 computers every year.

LTSP scenario:
Hawaii businesses, military, government, etc. purchase 10,000 new
computers every year and discards 2,000 computer
every year.
The DOE recycles those 2,000 computers for LTSP thin clients.
Landfill receives 0 computers every year.