[luau] Proposed LTSP Server Config

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Sep 21 23:29:00 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 23:12, Dwight wrote:
> I did some looking with Google and found the following info:
> http://www.electronicsrecycling.net/menu2/search/eiasearch.asp?state=HI
>
> This site provides information regarding electronics recyling on a
> state-by-state as well as nationwide basis.  There are currently seven
> organizations in Honolulu that accept used computer hardware (primarily for
> reuse purposes).  One is even hosted by the office of the Governor (i.e.,
> Computers for Schools Programs).
>
> My wife is a teacher at Nanakuli High & Intermediate School.  They don't
> have any budget for hardware or software (all of it is budgeted for the No
> Child Left Behind Act).  At one point they were planning for a computer lab,
> but for whatever reason, it fell through.  As a result, my wife got two
> power mac 5000 series machines for her class.  Their tech dude is so backed
> up I went over and networked her machines for her.  Both of these machines
> have about 16MB of RAM each, which means they are dog slow.  Having some
> Linux boxes in there might be able to make the difference for her school and
> provide them with a no-cost lab that all students can use.  However, her
> school doesn't have any budget for support either, so that would have to be
> provided by volunteers...I'm not sure how Linux-savvy their tech dude is.

If the following happens...
1) About $3,500 of donations total for server and networking equipment
2) Get 30-60 prepared thin clients to the school
3) Setup their school similarly to Liholiho's configuration.  With 30
machines we can convert a room into a computer lab, 60 could convert two
adjacent rooms, all running from that one server.

Then it would be better than their current situation, and theoretically
most support issues can be done remotely and securely via ssh.  If thin
clients die, then they can replace it with a spare from the closet, with
no configuration it just works.  The only time someone would need to
visit the campus is if the server itself has problems where remote SSH
is not possible.

All of this depends if they have high speed Internet at the school.  Do
they?

Warren