[luau] Proposed LTSP Server Config

Dwight Victor elua at Aikanaka.com
Sun Sep 21 22:25:01 PDT 2003

Actually, the original post mentioned that Rep Marumoto "asked for another
meeting so she could include computer savvy people on her staff."  I took
this to mean that she wanted to have another meeting so that her
tech-savvy staffers could participate.

I understand how Linux can provide cost-savings in various terms (i.e.,
little/no licensing costs, ability to run on older hardware, etc.).  I'm
curious to know how Linux is supposed to enhance the local economy as well
as deal/address our landfill problem.  As I understand it, our local
economy is closely tied to tourism and our landfill problem is that no one
wants one in their backyard.  How is Linux supposed to address these
issues?

I can sorta believe that Linux could help local businesses achieve lowered
operating costs which translate into additional cash for marketing Hawaii
as a tourism destination...but, will Linux help close the Waimanalo
landfill (which was supposed to be at capacity but was extended by the
DoH, which is supposed to add another five years of capacity - Honolulu
Advertiser
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/May/17/ln/ln14a.html)?  If
this is true, then I'd very much like to know...because the landfill is in
my childhood neighborhood (Nanakuli actually, NOT Waimanalo).

Don't get me wrong...I like Linux as much as the next enthusiast...but I'd
like to get a clearer idea of the proposal before jumping on the
bandwagon.

Dwight...