[luau] Quuestion about Linux Security and domain name

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Sat Sep 20 22:52:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:34:57PM -1000, Glen wrote:
> I am Glen, a system administrator at UHM, College of Education.

Welcome.

> My concern is security; I would like to know how to set up
> firewall to avoid hacing to
> protect our data.

In addition to restricting the IPs within smb.conf, allow lock it
down in your iptables configuration.

> I still do not have fluency on linux environment. I know
> basic shell operation, but am not fammiller with system
> configuration. I relay on Webmin and Mandrake Control Center.

Restrict access to the administrative interfaces as well, within
webmin and iptables.

> Another question is how to set up server to access by domain
> name.
>
> Our department has domain "coe.hawaii.edu" and I named the
> server to "foo" by changing /etc/hosts file and give it
> static IP, but I cannot access to the server by entering
> "foo.coe.Hawaii.edu". Please let me know what I need to know.

You may have the coe.hawaii.edu subdomain assigned to you for
use, but not to administer the zone. At least, according to `dig
coe.hawaii.edu ns`, so you will need to work with ITS.

You should talk to ITS about what services they offer. At the very
least, you should be put on a mailing list for UH related notices.

-Vince