[luau] dual pentium pro

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Sat Sep 20 22:33:01 PDT 2003

Aloha,

Yes,  just put faster PIII processors in the PL-PRO/II adapters.  The PPro
systems run at 66mhz.  What I did was convince Powerleap to sell me PL-
PRO/II adapters with no processors and then I bought 2x PIII 1.1Ghz
processors with 100Mhz bus.  The bus is the important part.  Basically you
are under clocking the processor in the PPro system.  One of the PIIIs I
got was 133Mhz bus (the retailer thought he was doing me a favor) and that
processor ran much slower (1.1Ghz @ 100Mhz underclocked to 66Mhz = 726Mhz,
1.1Ghz at 133Mhz underclocked to 66Mhz = 539Mhz).  So I traded in that
processor for the 100Mhz and everything worked fine.  My Tyan 1662 board
booted right up and worked great with Linux and Win2k .

Mahalo,
Dusty