[luau] nForce2, KM266 & Business Linux Desktops

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Sep 10 10:13:26 PDT 2003

Both nVidia's nForce2 and VIA's KM266 provide excellent platforms for
use as business Linux desktops--they are very powerful, flexible, stable
and "cheap" (especially the KM266 based systems).  The nForce2 also has
a duel-monitor option, which can be very neat for certain types of
applications (e.g., CPAs, financial planners, estate planning lawyers).

Both systems, as far as I know, still require some tweaking.  RH9/MDK9.x
won't even install on KM266.  Some Debian based systems (e.g., Libranet)
will install on KM266, but it installs the generic VESA driver, and not
the more powerful Savage driver.

nVidia's instructions on installing nForce driver are so full of errors,
it took me a while to figure out what's going on (particularly in trying
to install the NIC driver).

Would appreciate if someone would also share their experience.