[luau] OpenOffice.org 1.1RC4

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Sep 10 10:13:01 PDT 2003

Thanx Warren.

I don't follow the kernel development that much.  However, as far as I
am concerned, if there is something that is signaling the inevitable
dominance of Linux, OOo is certainly a very likely candidate.

Yes, there are quite a few features seem to be still missing that are
critical for business use (mainly for law practice).  But from the
amazing speed at which OOo is improving (e.g., it used to take over 1.5
minutes to load OOo now only less than a few seconds; and, of course,
the availability of software development kit), the future should be very
clear.

Even at its present form, OOo also has other advantages over Microsoft
Office--I will discuss these later.  In the near future, should OOo
begin to be adopted by businesses, there will definitely be a need for
consultants who can provide automation tools utilizing, e.g., OOo
(including SDK), MySQL, Python/Perl.  At the present time, most law
firms, when they purchased Microsoft Office, they also signed
consultants to manage this "easy to use" program.   The same can be
expected, if not more so, for OOo.