[luau] cron vs. anacron, xinetd useful?

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Fri Oct 31 15:08:01 PST 2003

If a tree falls in the woods and noone is around to hear it, does it fall?
 You'd probably know when a service you use is no longer available.  If
you don't know you need it then you don't need it.  Check what depends on
xinetd.d.

You can see a list of ENABLED depended services by running this:

grep -li disable.*=.*no /etc/xinetd.d/*

This looks for all xinetd.d configs that are enabled.  You can also check
out the directory to see which services are disabled that depend on it
too.

Using redhat-config-services will keep you save in that it knows how these
dependencies work (usually) and will warn you.

Tom

If I turn off xinetd, and later it turns out I need
it, how would I know?