[luau] Two computers working as one

Karen Lofstrom lofstrom at lava.net
Wed Oct 29 18:49:00 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Matthew John Darnell wrote:

> Has anyone ever got two computers to work as one?  I think it is called
> parallel computing.
> It would be used to solve a hard math problem or analyze data from a survey.
> I was reading Linux can do this relativley well.

There's a computing cluster at the Institute for Astronomy on Manoa Road,
I believe, though it's done with Sparcs instead of Linux machines. Perhaps
Mr. Lockhart would care to expand on this, if he's ever dealt with it.
Though perhaps he works mostly on instrumentation.

I don't think the sysadmins at IfA going to be giving folks a tour of the
NOC, I should add.

--
Karen Lofstrom