[luau] Help with Spamassassin in RH9

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Oct 27 21:44:01 PST 2003

Ben Beeson wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> 	I'm up on RH9 now and I was wondering if anyone has had any success
> with spamassassin and Ximian Evolution?  I read the fine RH manual and
> it says to make a 'procmailrc' file with a few rules in it to get the
> spamassassin to work.  So far, no luck....

I believe those directions are only for configuring spamassassin and
procmailrc for delivery into local mailboxes.  That works only if you
are running as a SMTP server, or using fetchmail to download mail from
POP3 accounts elsewhere into your local mailboxes.

> 	It seemed easier to implement in Kmail via filters (on RH7.2 --
> although it was a kludge there) which can run other programs.  So far I
> have not been able to get spamassassin to run with Ximian. (It may not
> be a fault of Ximian at all, it may be operator error...) Anyway, if
> anyone has any good ideas, I'm willing to try them.

kmail indeed has the capability of using spamassassin as a client.  I
haven't seen that capability in Evolution... but  I haven't really
looked.  I personally have used the above method of fetchmail ->
procmail -> spamassassin -> mbox for several years, then I moved to a
dedicated server for greater speed and accessibility.

I really need to write a HOWTO for the fetchmail to spamassassin combo.
Please remind me around mid-November.

http://download.fedora.us/patches/redhat/9/i386/RPMS.stable/
Try my newer spamassassin package shipped in fedora.us "patches"
repository for RH9.  It is considerably more accurate than the older
spamassassin-2.55 shipped in RH9, while fixing a few nasty bugs.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com