[luau] redhat 9 dhcp hostname

tom_gordon at notes.k12.hi.us tom_gordon at notes.k12.hi.us
Fri Oct 17 11:18:01 PDT 2003

I don't know about editing the files in /sbin directly. they may get lost
or replaced with updated.

RH has files in /etc/sysconfig [1] (where most configuration files go)
that containg the hostname attribute.

/etc/sysconfig/network: HOSTNAME=Gumby

Tom

[1] http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/sysconfig.html

Please respond to luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
Sent by:        luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
To:     luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
cc:
Subject:        [luau] redhat 9 dhcp hostname

Hi,
I too installed redhat 9 recently, and it defaults to obtaining an IP
address AND a hostname from my cable internet provider.
The ISP server gives me a host name based on the IP address it provides.

In previous installations of redhat, I was able to give my machine a name
of my own choosing.

I 'solved' my problem with the redhat configuration, by editing the
"dhclient-script" file, located in the /sbin directory.

Somewhere near the bottom of that file, is an entry which assigns a
variable name to 'hostbame'.
I simply replaced the variable item with the name that I wanted to use,
and rebooted.

Problem solved.
The ISP server is happy, Redhat 9 is happy, and I am happy.
I'm able to login to "my_name_host", instead of "ISP_name_host", Evolution
works, and my box still continues to function as a router.

It's a bit of a kludge workaround, but hey, it works.

Sincerely

Ike