[luau] redhat 9 dhcp hostname

Hilke Dokter hdokter at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 17 10:05:01 PDT 2003

Hi,
I too installed redhat 9 recently, and it defaults to obtaining an IP address AND a hostname from my cable internet provider.
The ISP server gives me a host name based on the IP address it provides.

In previous installations of redhat, I was able to give my machine a name of my own choosing.

I 'solved' my problem with the redhat configuration, by editing the "dhclient-script" file, located in the /sbin directory.

Somewhere near the bottom of that file, is an entry which assigns a variable name to 'hostbame'.
I simply replaced the variable item with the name that I wanted to use, and rebooted.

Problem solved.
The ISP server is happy, Redhat 9 is happy, and I am happy.
I'm able to login to "my_name_host", instead of "ISP_name_host", Evolution works, and my box still continues to function as a router.

It's a bit of a kludge workaround, but hey, it works.

Sincerely

Ike