[luau] measuring sustained disk rates

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 13 13:45:01 PDT 2003

tom_gordon at notes.k12.hi.us wrote:
> man hdparm

I don't know much, and it's probably my own ineptitude, but I've never
been able to get hdparm to work with scsi drives.  And for ide drives,
I've only been able to get hdparm to give me read metrics (hdparm -t).

 > Is there a tool for measuring sustained disk rates?
 > I'm trying to think up or find a way to test the long
 > term to-disk performance of a system I have (scsi
 > disks set to raid-0), but haven't been able to find
 > anything that quite fits.

Maybe it would make sense that the only way you can measure the
sustained write speed of a program would be to write a program that does
a similar task?  So you might be stuck doing that?

-Charles