[luau] Slashdot: Multiple Monitors Increase Productivity

Erich S. sharky at websharx.com
Fri Oct 10 15:08:01 PDT 2003

I agree with Eric, but respectfully disagree on LCD's. I work on two
video workstations both that have dual monitor setups. We recently
switched to LCD and the deskspace freed up to place logging notes or
other useful information while producing video is most welcome. I don't
particularly like the price (compared to CRT now), but let's be
realistic, the price for a 19" 1280x1024 LCD screen isn't much more than
what a good 17" monitor cost 3-4 yrs ago. If you got oodles of deskspace
(or can punch a hole through the back of your cottage wall, then CRT's
are definitely a good deal, and most good video cards now come with dual
display support.

Having dual monitors is quite useful if you do any type of work that
tends to be digitally information rich. For me that would be video work
(nice wide timelines, or grouped out pallets and bins), web design
(browser and coding in separate windows), web research (multiple
browsers across monitors). If you dislike or prefer to work in one app
at a time, or the work that you do is generally single task linear, then
a single monitor and alt-tabbing is probably just fine.

I do all of the types of work described above and I keep flogging myself
for not having moved to dual monitors sooner. It's incredibly liberating
to be able to read reference/help material in one screen while working
in another instead of flip-flopping between screens, or to be able to
research on one screen and take paperless notes on the other. (My ideal
mobile setup is to have external monitors at home and work and a dual
display capable laptop. My beloved switcher and single monitor head to
my multiple headless boxen at home are still important to my work, but
more as a local admin console)

Just thought I'd say something because I've really benefitted from it.
Your mileage of course may vary....

Erich

[snip]

>  Its great in windows, though.  I agree with you that flat
> panels/LCDs
> are uttlerly silly and useless, though.
>
> -Eric Hattemer

[snip]