[luau] Slashdot: Multiple Monitors Increase Productivity

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Thu Oct 9 16:00:02 PDT 2003

I have to say I don't agree.  Depending on where you get them (outside
of Hawaii) you can easily get a 17-19" CRT for under $100.  The obvious
problem with desktop switching, or alt-tab switching is that you can
only view one document at a time.  There are so many applications for
which there are two related document windows.  For instance, a webpage
and a text editor for doing web development.  I like to play UO on one
monitor and have the other monitor show the map.  In windows, windows
can be spread across multiple desktops, which allows you to save on that
35" monitor.  Any sort of switching is a pain, and its very nice for me
to be able to modify an entire electronic circuit without needing to
zoom around.  I'm glad I have two monitors at home.  At work I always
work on a sun and a pc at the same time.  I seriously doubt I'd be more
productive if you gave me a $100 raise over 5 years.  But in those 5
years I'd get a lot more done if I could see all my programs at the same
time.  Unfortunately the savage driver doesn't work properly with my
cheapo graphics card, so I only get one and a half monitors in linux.
 Its great in windows, though.  I agree with you that flat panels/LCDs
are uttlerly silly and useless, though.

-Eric Hattemer