[luau] ultra ata 100 okay?

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Thu Oct 2 09:41:01 PDT 2003

I bought a WD 250GB (230Gib) drive last week and it works fine in RH9.
 It comes with a promise card.  Windows cannot read the drive on the
nvidia controller, so I had to use the promise card.  The only issue is
unless your bios is pretty hardcore, it will boot as hde or higher.  I
don't remember why, but my lilo is on my onboard controller hda.  I
think it was just easier that way.  I know the installer told me my
system wouldn't boot, I ignored it, then I had to repair it :).  So the
lilo part might be tricky.  Windows is twice as bitchy, though.  I now
realize the steps I need to take to get windows onto hde, but it
shouldn't be as hard as it will be.  As for hdparm, you want to make
sure you have it installed, then edit /etc/sysconfig/harddisks.  Set
USE_DMA=1 and at the bottom where it says extra_parms or something, set
"-X 69".  I like to set "-S 0 -M254", but that's just me.  USE_DMA is
necessary if you don't want HD reads to lock up the whole computer.  -X
69 sets the drive to udma5 instead of dma33.  -S 0 keeps it from going
to sleep, and -M 254 means to run as fast and loudly as possible (which
may shorten the life of the drive, so beware).  And make sure you put
the extra_parms line in quotes (ie. EXTRA_PARMS="-X 69 -S 0").  But like
I said, with other controlers and drives on that computer, lilo may be
hard, and grub may be impossible.  Windows may involve disabling the
other dma channels (or unplugging the other HD's) during instalation,
then getting lilo to boot the WD drive, then installing windows with the
F6 driver disk.

-Eric Hattemer