[luau] Start process on server, I'm sure it can be done!

rick philbrick rickbluebrick at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 20:58:00 PST 2003

whenever <whatever at whoever.net> wrote:

If you still need the script be in the foreground, you can use 'screen', start
your script then detach, re-attech when ever you want to.

or
use 'nohup' to start the script, it will redirect the stdout/stderror to a
file, it will be running after you log off.
or
use cron, check if the process is running, start it if not.
or
place it in inittab, set the run level and respawn, depends on how you wrote
your script, it might not work with initd.

Hi,
I was hoping that you could shed a little more light on why initd has problems with some scripts. I remember a while back trying to get a non-daemon service started during system initialization and the service started but wouldn't go into the background and just disappeared. When I'd log in I'd have to manually start it.

Rick

  ( __SEATTLE__)