[luau] kernel advice

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 14 15:24:01 PST 2003

Can you (or anybody) recommend a place to find more information about
these kernel source rpms?  I keep searching around, but not finding the
stuff I need.

It's honestly confusing.  I've successfully patched the vanilla kernel
plenty of times using other patches, and I think I pretty much
understood them.  This stuff though, not sure if it makes sense:

kernel installed on a RH9 machine is 2.4.20-6, srpm is for 2.4.20-8
There is the *.spec file, which looks like it could build a kernel tree,
but some things don't seem like they'd work.  Some of the patches are
expecting to patch a tree called linux-2.4.20, some a tree called linux,
some a tree called linux-1, and in some patch files they're mixed (i.e.,
there are sections meant to patch a tree called linux-1, and then there
are sections meant to patch a tree called linux, all in the same patch
file).

Undoubtedly it's my own ignorance causing me problems, so I was
wondering where I could look to understand the system they use.  Is
their a how-to or something like it available?  I've read some
documentation about making rpms, but it didn't fill in enough of the
blanks to get a good picture.

Sorry for the stupidity,

-Charles