[luau] nptl threads question

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Sat Nov 8 12:40:02 PST 2003

Decided to try out these fancy new features in Fedora to see if I can get
improved performance out of a system I have, and came across a small
problem.

I have three threads that wait on the same condition, using

pthread_cond_wait(&system_cond, &this_threads_mutex);

I then use

pthread_cond_broadcast(&system_cond);

to start the threads.  This works on my other systems (running Redhat),
and works on this system if I set the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment
variable (as per FC1 release notes).

But, it doesn't work on FC1 using nptl (the default with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
not set).  I see in the release notes:

This thread library is designed to be binary compatible with the old
LinuxThreads implementation; however, applications that rely on the places
where the LinuxThreads implementation deviates from the POSIX standard
will need to be fixed.

I don't think that what I'm doing deviates, but if I'm wrong please fill
me in.  I can't imagine this being a bug with the kernel because it'd be
to obvious.  So I must be doing something wrong.  I'd apreciate any input.

Thanks,

-Charles