[luau] Which Distribution To Go With

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Tue Nov 4 09:28:01 PST 2003

When the "best" question (or "which" in this case) evokes responses with
cursewords and slights without examples, no one really benefits.

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us wrote:

>Debian is the biggest waste of storage space known to man.  8 CDs!  Mostly
>crappy, useless, abandoned applications.  If you want to use the 2.4*
>kernel it's all the way on CD3!?  Also the user-interface is NOT for the
>easily confused.

This part says the most, or the least, about your breadth of
experience.   Sorry, but if you insist on a cd install, the mini iso,

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

is very light.  You install what you must, and you apt-get or dselect
what you need.  The install is tougher, but the "user interface" is
Linux.  This is not easily confusing.

I have no idea what is best, but  graphical distro's like Mandrake and
Suse are fine (in spite of their limits) as are Debian and Freebsd (but
they will challenge you a bit more).  I have no experience with Fedora,
but it is obviously a very logical and probably easier transition.

Many people are wrestling with this question now that RedHat has made
the strategic decision to support a free OS through the Fedora project
while focusing on its core enterprise customers.  As a list we could be
of service to those making the decision of what distro to go with by
keeping our responses informed and somewhat objective.

--scott