[luau] Which Distribution To Go With

Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Tom_Gordon/RISE/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Tue Nov 4 08:43:01 PST 2003

Mandrake is just a shittier version of Red Hat.  I've not used the
drake-fly distro because of it's insistence that web-based GUI are
acceptable means for system administration.  Did you know Mandrake was
once just a modified version of Red Hat Linux?

SuSe is fine if you like lengthy install processes, and bugged config
scripts.  Too much salt for my butter.  They are also stingy with
downloadable ISOs.

Debian is the biggest waste of storage space known to man.  8 CDs!  Mostly
crappy, useless, abandoned applications.  If you want to use the 2.4*
kernel it's all the way on CD3!?  Also the user-interface is NOT for the
easily confused.

I like the Slackware Live CD because it's small but it's too light-weight
for personal computing.

Gentoo is cool if you like using high-end peripheral support ala custom
binary driver packages and prefer your packages to be compiled by you
(FreeBSD style).

The BEST distribution if you are doubting Red Hat Linux user is Fedora. It
has an ergonomic update & install process.  The up2date/RHN applet has
been revamped to support public distribution points (no more "you are not
a priority customer" errors woo!).  It also feature many 2.6 kernel
features in it's 2.4.22-based kernel.

Red Hat is sponsoring Fedora as their bases for development and future
RHEL releases.  They will not support it, just sponsor and develop for it.
 Fedora is the new Red Hat Linux as you have know it financially.  But
some things are different it how it is versioned, released, updated and
maintained.  It is much more Debian-like in it's package management dept.,
thanks to Warren, so really i see no need to want Debian.  As for the
particulars, it is best to read the site: http://fedora.redhat.com

I've updated three RH9 boxes to Fedora test3 with no problems in
upgrading.  The release-version "Fedora Core 1" should be released bu the
end of this week.

Anything less would be uncivilized,
Tom

"John Johnson" <jsj at amagata.com>