[luau] the end user price for lousy copy protection schemes

Matthew John Darnell mdarnell at servpac.com
Thu May 29 13:26:01 PDT 2003

> I have seen numbers thrown around of how much buggy software costs end
> users.  But one number I have never seen is how much copyright protection
> schemes costs end users?  For example, you legally buy some commercial
> software package and the key number is ether lost, stolen, or is burned on
> fire.  Or the key number has problems, or a bug requires you to re-enter
the
> key number every time you use the package, or the 'original disk' is in
> 5.24" floppies, or the lisense management sheme is difficult to set up.

Same thing with music.  I don't know how many copies of Back in Black I have
bought since I was 13.  Two cassette tapes, 3 LP's and I'm on my second CD.
I know why the music industry fat cats are so scared of peer to peer.  I'm
never buying another copy, I already own it, I'll be burning copies for my
next 60 years.

I have not bought a main stream CD in over 3 years, that was when I saw my
first VH1 "Behind the Music".  Why should I support that?  They all have the
same story:

1-Hungry young band trying hard to make it
2-They make it big, lots of drugs, lots of women, lots of excess
    2a-The record label execs are making a fortune for doing nothing
3-Someone dies in the band
4-They sober up and most of the money is gone

-M