[luau] Re: Earthlink Vs. RoadRunner and RR vs. DSL

John S. Johnson jsj at amagata.com
Mon May 26 14:17:01 PDT 2003

In response to Jeff's reply, I would like to add that RoadRunner also has a dialup service that you can use when you go to the mainland. When I signed up with RR back in the old days there was a 1-user policy, but when I recently called them when comparing RR and DSL I found that that apparently has been done away with. They will not assist users with router issues, but they do not forbid you sharing a connection with others(according to the person I spoke with).
In other news, I have been testing DSL in the Moilliili area and I have mixed results. At first, there was a slightly noticeable difference in download times. RR was a little faster, but this became invisible after being on DSL for a while(given my usage). One thing that is GLARINGLY different is the upload time. I tried to upload some underwater images to my server at work(each about 2 megs) and it was SLOOOOW...It was very painful. RR is MUCH faster. Which brings up the next issue. I was thinking about putting up a server at home for my underwater images. DSL offers cheap static IP, but with an upload time this slow I would rather take my chances running it on a semi-static RR link(not commercial site, so no RR usage issues, I don't believe). Also, the price isn't as bad as I originally thought. DSL is $29.99 for the first 6 months. Then $39.99. RR is about the same. I found out I don't have to have the bundled basic cable service that I used to have to have to get the $39.99 rate. So in the end, based on performance in my area, I believe I will go with RR.  Just my $.02 based on results in my area.

--John Johnson