[luau] WINE on PPC Linux Distro

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon May 26 11:25:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 06:44, Virgil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Someone told me that WINE is NOT and emulator and will run native Windows
> apps natively on Linux. However, I haven't read any news of WINE being able
> to run on PPC linux distros. Is there a reason why it doesn't?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Virgil

Wine is an implementation of the Windows API, but it cannot emulate the
x86 architecture.  Thus there is no hope for running Windows
applications on PowerPC with Wine.

Some people use winelib to aid in porting of applications to Linux and
Unix though.  For example Transgaming ported a few Windows games to
Linux this way, and the Mono Project is using part of wine to implement
some difficult parts of Windows functionality.

Warren