[luau] Ditch OS X for Linux

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Sun May 25 22:45:00 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 08:51:48AM -1000, Jan Daniel Semrau wrote:
> He is bashing OSX without having even fully experienced OSX!
> Apparently, I do own the same notebook. However, I upgraded
> it to 384 MB RAM. And that is exactly enough for most of my
> applications. I use 10.1.5. I agree, that Mac OSX could be
> snappier in some rare occasions, and I think that >10.2 it is.

There is a _huge_ improvement in performance and reliability
moving from dot releases with OSX (10.0 -> 10.1 -> 10.2). But,
OSX is still an incredible resource hog.

Most of the author's complaints were resource related. That is
really a strike against old hardware and not OSX. On an old G3
with 256 MB ram, he should be using Linux or OS9.

At the end of the article, the author mentions having trouble
finding PPC RPMs. If he wanted software, he should have stuck
to OSX, installed fink, and selected from over 2500 packages to
install within a few keystrokes.

-Vince