[luau] Ditch OS X for Linux

Jan Daniel Semrau jsemrau at campus.hpu.edu
Sun May 25 08:51:01 PDT 2003

Hi Virgil,

I actually read the whole article. What a waste of time ;-)
He is bashing OSX without having even fully experienced OSX!
Apparently, I do own the same notebook. However, I upgraded it to 384
MB RAM. And that is exactly enough for most of my applications. I use
10.1.5. I agree, that Mac OSX could be snappier in some rare occasions,
and I think that >10.2 it is. Nonetheless, I have rarely complained
about speed except in the inital 10.1 release. But at that point of
time, neither my CD writer nor my DVD were working. Moreover, I do have
that amazing voice recognition software, Mp3 and Mpeg streamer,
PostgreSQL, Apache (with PHP support), Videolan,  Mozilla Firebird,
nmap, Fire, and of course ProjectBuilder running. I think that this
iBook was one of the best purchases ever. That said, some *nix software
does not work properly on my system (yet). I should walk over to
tell'em. XFree86 is slow. Especially when running OpenOffice.
I use and love fink and just yesterday I installed the clisp
interpreter.
If that dude is happier with an iBook running Linux, good for him. It
might increase the speed of the system because everything is not that
"flashy", he might find way more programs than for pure osx. I still
haven't got the globus toolkit nor openAFS to work. Although the
Kereberos client worked "out of the box".
Last, I do believe that he never really planned to stick with Mac OSX.
But then a switch to Yellow Dog or Debian on the iBook is still a cool
thing to do. ;-) I guess that's what Matisha did, if he is still
around?

Tomaranai Rinaxu!

Cheers, Dan

Virgil wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Here's a good article concerning a Macuser  (OS X) who switched to
Linux.