[luau] News - Sue Me? Sue You? SCO, Linux & Unix

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon May 19 15:14:00 PDT 2003

Another excellent follow-up article where Bruce Perens explains the
situation with more clarity, and introduces the possibility of Microsoft
involvement in a Linux smear campaign.

http://news.com.com/2010-1071-1007758.html
The fear war against Linux

By Bruce Perens
May 19, 2003, 1:00 PM PT

Microsoft's connection to the anti-Linux campaign being waged by the SCO
Group is becoming clear.

In the latest move, Microsoft has stepped up the battle with an
announced agreement to license SCO's Unix patents and the source code,
describing the deal as a reflection of its "ongoing commitment to
respecting intellectual property and the IT community's healthy exchange
of IP through licensing."

Nice rhetoric.

This comes after SCO just last week sent a letter to big IT customers,
threatening legal action. And the reality is that Microsoft is tying
SCO's allegations into its own anti-GPL campaign, a mostly unsuccessful
effort to convince customers that the sharing and openness methods used
in Linux development are unhealthy for the market. (SCO has gone so far
as to publish "Quotations from Linux Leaders," a collection of
inaccurate and out-of-context quotes of GNU Public License creator
Richard Stallman and myself to paint Linux developers as nothing better
than software pirates.)

(continued in article)