[luau] Law stuff advice

Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Sat May 17 18:14:01 PDT 2003

My non-legal take on this is...

You certainly can take what is physically yours, but not if the function of
the server has not been replaced yet. It that respect you are damaging the
companies ability to function. It would be like a programmer taking the
part of the program that they coded when they leave the company. The
company should have made provisions to replace the function of the server
quickly at the time your resignation was turned in so you to be able to
take what is yours as soon as possible.

Personally, I wouldn't bring in my equipment unless it was going to be
temporary and I had something in writing to back up that it is mine and the
temporary function it will serve until a certain date. At or before that
time something permanent must be installed. On the side of the company,
they made a mistake by allowing it and now they are paying the price.

This is probably going to get messy because the understanding is not in
writing. Being nice and helping them out is one things, but in the end
"business is business".

If I was the company I wouldn't waste my time. However if they are leaving
servers in the halls, it would seem that they may not be playing with a
full deck anyway. Then again maybe this is their way of getting back at
you.

I wish you luck and suggest never letting a company use your equipment
unless the understanding is in writing. Its so easy for the individual to
get screwed in a situation like this.

Michael

The usual.... this is not legal advice, this is a personal subjective
opinion and not the view of my employer.

al plant <webmaster at hawaiidakine.com>@videl.ics.hawaii.edu on 05/17/2003
05:32:59 PM

Please respond to luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

Sent by:    luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu