[luau] Speaking of hard drives

Randall Oshita rho at hawaii.rr.com
Wed May 14 22:28:00 PDT 2003

Consumers are not "technically proficient" nor posses equipment that can
accurately check for problems beyond Disk Fitness testing.
When a "consumer" requests an RMA it is assumed that the product is
still functional until it has been properly tested and approved by the
manufacturer.
Keep in mind that when Maxtor develops new drives they take a lot of
consideration of past problems. If you ship your HD and it gets damaged
due to poor shipping materials it makes it very difficult to research
the original problem. Also, they reuse the good parts to create
"recycled" drives mainly for RMA.

BTW, Newegg should have these standards.

Randall