[luau] Installing Linux on a disk on a ata/100 pci card

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun May 4 19:43:00 PDT 2003

Warren Togami wrote:
> I have used several Promise ATA/100 cards with success.  Videl has one
> of those exact cards in order to control the 120GB hard drive used by
> the FTP mirror.
>
> Are you sure you aren't using it in RAID mode?  RAID mode is largely
> unsupported with those low-end IDE controllers, but single IDE disks
> should work great in Linux.
>
> Warren Togami
> warren at togami.com

Even if it's in RAID mode, it shouldn't cause a kernel panic.  That doesn't mean
it doesn't, but it certainly SHOULDN'T.  If we actually have a bug here, send me
a copy of the kernel (WITH debugging), and the FULL panic output and I'll see if
I can figure out what's happening.

If it's just a "can't find init" or something like that, then we don't have an
actual bug, just a misconfiguration.

--MonMotha