[luau] RE:open source article

Ted Kanemori ted at hisurf.com
Fri May 2 10:57:00 PDT 2003

Yes, HOSEF is a little conservative.  Please understand that HOSEF is
made up of volunteers that give up their time on Saturdays and Monday
nights to work on equipment that is less then new.  Challenged to
repair, fix and patch pre-owned equipment, find out if this equipment
will run reliably, load a Linux OS and basic applications, mate and test
peripherals to have a complete system that'll do what it's intended to
do.  Then load this equipment in their private vehicles and deliver them
to locations where it'll serve it's purpose best.
The HOSEF volunteers do not get paid, or ask for reimbursements. They
don't get fed or anything in return, except for the satisfaction that
they may have done some good for the "community".
Convince the state?
George Bush had 300,000 troops, 80 billion dollars, and several
coalition partners to do a regime change.  Here in Hawaii, it takes
lobbying and patience to change things.
Are there folks that'll dedicate themselves to sitting at the capitol to
convince lawmakers to see the light?
Are there folks that'll sponsor the grants that are suggested?

1.  People don't change because human nature dictates that a resistance
to change is normal.  Especially if it's going to involve work.  Before
people will be willing to change, they need to see how the change will
benefit them and make life easier (and cheaper).
2.  Most folks don't know what Linux is.  They've got their hands full
doing an 8 hour a day job and trying to understand Windows or Mac.  They
need to be INTRODUCED to Linux.  You can't stuff a round Linux into a
square hole.
HOSEF is doing a wonderful job of putting Linux in front of the public
so people can understand it and "choose" to come on board.
3.  Scott has been spending tons of time looking for computer donations
shore up the Linux momentum.  Some of it has resulted in a few pre-owned
systems, but not enough.  If there are folks who know folks who have
connections to organizations that can donate equipment that is being
replaced or upgraded, it'd help the cause.
4.  Every day it seems like there are more and more people who are
stepping forward, introducing themselves and actively helping to make
inroads into the State system.  Changes will not happen overnight, but
if the cause is just, the right thing will prevail.

Ted