[luau] Open source OS map

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Wed Mar 26 09:09:00 PST 2003

Nakashima wrote:

> Hi all,
> Layman speaking.
>
> I'm new to the whole open source thing. I need someone to draw me a big
> map or point me to a website that does.
>
> I have questions like: Is FreeBSD a flavor of Linux? or an entirely
> different animal altogether?
>
> Apple's Darwin is the open source version of Mac OS X right?
> Since Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, what's the difference between FreeBSD
> and Darwin?
>
> --
> Peter
> Liholiho Elementary

FreeBSD is a UNIX which is very stable and used by many ISP's for
servers on the internet. We use is at our ISP office and here in the
webcenter as desktops and CD burners. The system is very easy to use and
the stability is legendary. That is why MAC has now gone to FreeBSD for
the basis of its operating system.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043