[luau] Open source OS map

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Mar 18 12:25:01 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:17:25AM -1000, Nakashima wrote:
> I'm new to the whole open source thing. I need someone to draw
> me a big map or point me to a website that does.

Here is a VERY detailed map of Un*x. Probably too detailed. :)
    http://www.levenez.com/unix/

If you google for 'unix history' or 'unix map' you will find less
dense material.

> I have questions like: Is FreeBSD a flavor of Linux? or an
> entirely different animal altogether?

Both FreeBSD and Linux are both Unix-like operating systems but
come from different lineages.

This may be a bit of a stretch, but you can think of it as
convergent evolution. Different source code that in the end
offers a similar solution.

> Apple's Darwin is the open source version of Mac OS X right?
> Since Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, what's the difference
> between FreeBSD and Darwin?

OS X builds on Darwin. I believe the Darwin kernel is based on
Mach and FreeBSD. I do not notice many similarities to FreeBSD
with the userland tools. Most of it looks like NeXT Step to me.

-Vince