[luau] memory and writes to disk - linux behavior question

Jeff Wong jmwong at hoku.net
Fri Mar 14 10:25:00 PST 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Charles Lockhart wrote:

> Any ideas as to what may be going on?  Is top lying, am I
> misinterpreting the value that top is showing, is all the memory getting
> mapped to the process even though it may not be completely used?
>
> -Charles

This is normal.  As far as linux is concerned, free memory is wasted
memory.  If there is alot of unused memory linux will automatically grab
it for disk/file buffering and will keep it until some other process
requests a memory allocation.  If your using top, the amount of memory
being used for this buffering is reported at the end of the 3rd line.
While not exactly 'free memory' the delay it takes to deallocate from the
buffer pool isn't very long and its started before the small pool of
actual free memory is exhausted.

Jeff