[luau] memory and writes to disk - linux behavior question

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 14 10:14:00 PST 2003

Ok, I lied.  For some reason I thought most of the memory was free when
we first power up the system, but it comes up with about 200MB used.
Seems like a lot, but I don't see anything hogging it all, so maybe it's
just allocating memory really freely to the processes that are there.

When first start the app, memory usage jumps to about 250MB.  As I
stream to disk, this increases, until free mem is reduced to about 3MB.
  According to top, the app is using about 50-60% of the available memory.

After I exit the app, the memory usage jumps down to about 230MB.

The app has several somewhat large ring buffers, but these aren't
dynamic.  I'm guessing whatever is sucking up the memory as I stream is
involved with the disk io.  And it doesn't seem to hurt the performance.
  I don't see any changes in CPU usage, system speed, etc. when memory
usage finally tops out.

-Charles