[luau] Re: Dell Server for $466 before $100 mail in rebate

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Tue Mar 11 17:48:01 PST 2003

On 11 Mar 2003 at 15:46, Ronald Willis wrote:

> Ask about the processor...celeron or pent.
>
> Ask about the motherboard buss speed, will you truely experience 533 mhz
> with the cheaper microprocessor?
>
> And of course make sure the rebates are not based on your agreement to
> purchase the 3 year extended service plan...

Is this typical of Dell?  I have not dealt with their sales tactics
in the past.

What cheaper processor are you refering to?  The Celeron?  The P4/2.4
was a selectable no cost upgrade that I did not have to ask about.
I did my homework on this before attempting to purchase it as I've
had compatibility issues many times in the past, specially with a non
desktop hardware.  Of course that is what caused my delay in getting
the extra $110 discount opposed to the $50 they are offering now.
The rebate does not specify a service agreement.  I did notice though
that it is much cheaper to get the server addon's from the Dell
peripherals section AFTER ordering the server then bundled with the
server.  A good example is an extra 512 memory, it is only $168 after
the fact but $199 when listed in the "build server options".  Of
course you could shop at pricewatch and get it for much cheaper then
both but YMMV depending on the vendor.