[luau] Re: Dell Server for $466 before $100 mail in rebate

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Tue Mar 11 14:47:01 PST 2003

Damn...

I had everything in my shopping cart for this and decided to wait
until morning so I could research the Linux compatibility a little
more.  In the morning the $110 discount was down to $80.  Figuring I
better get the ball rolling I completed everything up to and
including my credit card information for a total of $315 with tax
after rebate (free shipping where I am).  Opera 6.05 crapped out on a
Java popup after I clicked the final "Click here to confirm your
order".  I fired up IE and wham..  The price had jumped up again
another $30. I tried to get the URL from Opera and cut-n-paste into
IE but I could not access my old cart.  I called two different people
at Dell and tried to plea my case for the $110 and the $80 but it
fell on deaf ears.  Both basically stated that they would take a loss
at that price and they could not reproduce that deal, and then
proceded to try to get my to by extra ram, a service deal, 3 more
drives, etc.. and they could work with me.  Yeah, right.

Maybe someone was trying to tell me I really did not need it after
all.  Even at $345 it is still an outstanding deal but not really
something I need right now.  I was just going to buy it because it
was an even better deal before that.

Dude, I almost had a Dell..